changelog format

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 22:08:05 UTC 2009

On 04/20/2009 11:18 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 10:26 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
>>> Why is this, BTW? Is there a reason we don't just generate it from CVS
>>> commit messages, beyond "no-one's had time / inclination to implement
>>> it"?
>> Because there's no forced standard for CVS commit messages.  Plus, each
>> CVS commit in pkgcvs does not necessarily equal a new release or version
>> increment in the package.  At least that's not how I use pkgcvs.
>
> It doesn't have to - you can generate the changelog as part of the
> package submission process, containing all the commit messages since the
> last package build.

But that's the thing I don't really want in the RPM changelog.  All of
the commit messages since the last package build are mostly noise to the
average user.

>> I view the RPM changelog as mostly fluff for end-user consumption.  We
>> [the packagers] can summarize the main points of that release, note bug
>> numbers addressed, and other major points for that iteration of the package.
>
> You can have a keyword that you put in CVS commit messages that
> suppresses them from being added to the RPM changelog, if they wouldn't
> be useful in that context (like "rebuilt with no changes for some
> procedural reason").
>
> (The win of doing things this way, btw, is that it saves maintainers
> time and effort, reduces errors introduced by the manual creation of
> what should be boilerplate content, and makes it less likely that
> important information will be left out of RPM changelogs, since you have
> to have a commit message and most developers habitually write useful
> ones).

You don't have to sell me on the idea, I do like it.  But it should have
been implemented when pkgcvs was created.  As it stands, there are far
too many garbage commit messages in pkgcvs now and far too much useful
information in the rpm changelogs.

I think this problem would be better solved in a larger 'moving pkgcvs
to some other vcs' discussion.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI