ck-run-in-desktop (was: Re: gnome keyring daemon from cron job)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Apr 21 02:56:01 UTC 2009

Colin Walters wrote:
> Aside from patching cron we should really ship a "ck-run-in-desktop"
> command with ConsoleKit, it wouldn't be difficult to write.

+1

This would be extremely useful. Right now there's no clean way to run a
command which talks to the D-Bus session bus from somewhere outside the
session.

For example, we'd need this to properly detect whether PowerDevil is
running. (Right now, acpid disables itself whenever kded4 is running to
prevent breaking PowerDevil, but that doesn't mean PowerDevil is actually
running, as kded4 is run whenever a KDE app runs, but only handles services
such as PowerDevil if you're actually running KDE. What we'd need is a way
to talk to kded4 over D-Bus to ask it whether PowerDevil is running. But
kded4 runs on the session bus, not the system bus.)

        Kevin Kofler