Finding file conflicts

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:23:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:44:49 -0500, Bruno wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:13:24 +0300,
>   Axel Thimm wrote:
> >
> > If I as a packager craft a package for Fedora, how can I check that
> > this package's contents aren't accidentially conflicting with another
> > package in Fedora? Is there some magic python script that would check
> > a package against a whole repo?
>
> There should also be checks run as a project over the whole set of
> packages. I know of at least two conflicts currently in rawhide (down
> from 3 assuming the new R packages got pushed out this morning) and
> I think there is a another one that if I find again I'll make sure is
> bugzilla'd. I have a lot of stuff installed, so I see more of these
> than most people, but I am guessing there are others that I don't see.

There are more. Search bugzilla for "conflicts". I've had the filing of bz
tickets semi-automated till I lost the work-in-progress ticket tracking
script which I had stored on a non-backuped-machine. At least the
following conflicts appear to be new compared with my last log:

  R-Matrix  conflicts with  R-core
  R-Matrix-devel  conflict with  R-core
  astronomy-backgrounds  conflicts with  *-backgrounds*  (in bugzilla)
  globus-common-progs  conflicts with  grid-packaging-tools  (in bugzilla)

The script I use to check a set of repositories is old and unfinished:
http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/confcheck-remote-split2.py

Working on such scripts and enhancing them is only fun if the filed
tickets are dealt with and are not ignored.