FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Apr 21 19:19:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just reading the latest distrowatch weekly and there was an
> interesting article posted there about a centralized bug tracking
> system for all of foss

Attempts to change the entire world simultaneously almost always fail,
if they ever even get past the discussion stage.  There are many
examples; to take just one, think of SELinux, where we ended up with a
"targeted" policy, saying we'll concentrate on this specific set of
services

If you want a more tractable, incremental problem to take on that
would get us closer to what you want, consolidating project hosting
would be a good start. For example, I'm very much against developers
hosting projects on e.g. some old Trac instance on their personal
vserver, for many reasons, among them that if at some later time they
get bored or whatever, the server goes down and with it a lot of
useful data.

If we could consolidate hosting down to just say Sourceforge, Google
Code, Launchpad, Fedora hosted, etc. we'd have a much more manageable
set of bug trackers (and project metadata APIs) to work with, and
making some sort of bug tracking aggregator becomes a much more
manageable problem.