FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:37:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 20:45 +0200, Mark wrote:
>> OpenID is indeed a solution to one of the problems (multiple bug
>> reporting accounts). But that would only work if:
>> 1. All bug trackers support OpenID
>> 2. all currently using a bug tracker update to a version that uses OpenID.
>
> Which is quite conceivably doable.
>
> Interoperation, not unification.
>
>> >From the reply's so far i see that fedora (or the ones that did
>> respond) would like the idea but have a hard time believing that
>> something this massive can be done.
>> So. do you guys think i can start trying to contact the top 10
>> distributions and see if i can get them all together on one place to
>> talk about it (just an irc channel somewhere) or would that be a waste
>> of time to do?
>
> I don't know that you have the necessary interpersonal skills to be the
> front man on this...

Well, i have the will to do it but by no means the "interpersonal
skills" for it.
I'm just someone that wants to give it a try ^_^

And a little different question.
I had the intention to invite the top 10 distributions on one place to
decide on something in this matter but now i'm wondering if that idea
alone is right.
Lets think about the following party's that are left out with that
idea but most certainly have a LOT to do with it:

- Google (with the "bugzilla" inside google code)
- Sourceforge (with there bug tracking tool)
- Bugzilla itself
- Mantis
- Trac (bug tracking part)
- Launchpad (bug tracking part)
- and probably a few others.

And that brings the total amount of people in on irc channel to talk
about the idea (me included) to 10 (top 10 distros) + 6 (projects with
bug trackers) + 1 (me) = 17 ppl.
That's a lot of ppl to "reform" bug tracking to one place.

I'm also playing a bit with the idea that there is one central bug
tracking system with ALL (ideally) foss projects in it and that place
is the main and upstream place(that's the general idea you all know by
now). Then allow people to somehow hook into that bug tracking system
(see it as a remote (mysql) database) which they can backup and use on
there own site with there own bugzilla. All bugs reported on there
site along with all changes will be (in the background) posted or
updated on the big foss bug tracker. That way you keep your local
bugzilla's but all data is stored on one place (even though the
participating parties can back there own section up if they want) and
can all be accessed through one site (lets say openBugTracker.net or
fossBugTracker.net). That would be the best way to go at it i think.
The only thing that all existing bug trackers have to do if it's going
to be done in this idea is update virtually every part of the bug
tracker they use to let it use an external database... just that
nothing more ^_^

O and please stick to this subject. OpenID is very interesting but
really not the subject.