FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Apr 22 01:22:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 06:39 +0800, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> I think the same argument could be made to apply to FreeNode for IRC,
> and yet, it seems to be working out just fine for the vast majority of
> FOSS projects.  So, the "One X to Y them all" concept can theoretically
> work for some aspects of FOSS development.  However, everyone's (almost,
> at least) are already using FreeNode, so we don't really have to
> convince anyone.

... And the IRC protocol itself happens to be an excellent example of
the principle of "interoperation not consolidation". FreeNode doesn't
consist of one server. FreeNode isn't the only IRC network out there.
There's a wide variety of IRC server software available, capable of
interoperating. And there's uncountable hundreds of small private IRC
servers and networks out there dedicated to small groups of friends...

(And every application expands until it can read email and connect to
IRC...)