Independent Fedora bug tracker

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Apr 22 15:42:02 UTC 2009

Forgive me for being so bold, but it's an issue I've felt strongly about
for quite some time now - namely, that I believe the Fedora Project
community should be hosting our own bug/issue tracker.  From what I've
read & heard, this issue has come up before and the decision was to stay
with the RH Bugzilla.  This doesn't discourage me in the least, though,
and I think that's never a reason not to try again.

After following this list for a while now, I've learned a bit about the
culture here, so I want to level the playing field a bit (since I'm
already being bold).  So here are the rules:

   1. Please provide constructive criticism, rather than just saying,
      "We tried and it didn't work" or "This is why this will fail".
      Fedora is built on lots of things many others have said would be
      impossible or impractical.
   2. Please bring up consequences of a community-run issue tracker
      compared to Red Hat running it (keeping in mind point #1)
   3. Only FOSS solutions should be suggested, if someone is going to do
      that (I won't cry if we drop Bugzilla).  If anyone mentions JIRA,
      I may reach through the screen and strangle you...(I'm looking at
      you, Moodle & Zend Framework!)
   4. Keep in mind that not everyone has the same level of experience
      (This is mostly for my benefit).  Share your wisdom, but try not
      to be a jerk about it.
   5. If you think something is so obviously wrong about the idea, then
      view that more as a challenge to overcome than an insurmountable
      hurdle.  Again, see #1 above.
   6. I hold zero power to make this happen directly (except by good-ol'
      gumption, I suppose).  So, don't think that I'm trying to
      single-handedly change things.  I'm just proposing the idea.

And now, on to the advantages as I see them:

   1. Fedora SHOULD have it's own issue tracking system, just like
      Fedora SHOULD be a community project.  I mean, Fedora is either
      driven by the community or not.  I do not think this is
      detrimental to Red Hat at all, because Red Hat benefits directly
      from the success of Fedora.
   2. We would be able to tie FAS & the issue tracker together without
      too many legal problems, hopefully.
   3. Red Hat Bugzilla is SLOW.  I'm serious.  It's that big of an issue
      for me.  I hope having our own would make it "go faster".

Honestly, I feel reason #1 is sufficient, but I thought I may as well
add a few technical points to get the ball rolling.  So, here's hoping
this doesn't turn into a flame fest!