F10: yum update broken

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Apr 23 01:52:01 UTC 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> If the mirrors are following this guideline and rsync works like
> stated, then why do we keep hitting broken mirrors when there is a big
> sync?
>
> Regards,
> Gerry

Those mirrors should be identified and removed from the mirror lists.
Yum should be able to report to some entity about a problem mirror.
Sure, not automatically but after someone in Fedora rel-eng reviews the
reports. Perhaps ask the user when an error occurs: Do you wish to
report a problem?

Reportable reasons:
1) performance issues (high latency)
2) dependency errors
3) missing files

Possibly more. Most of all I'm tired of hitting a high latency mirror
and the only way around it is to add it to my /etc/hosts file as
localhost so that it will error and go on to a faster mirror.