Pulseaudio breakage in F11

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Thu Apr 23 20:39:02 UTC 2009

I don't particularly enjoy putting gasoline on the fire,
but I think the sound problems in Fedora needs addressing.

Ever since FC3 I did not have reliable sound on Linux.
O an bog-standard  Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family). That's
maybe more like 5-6 years. I would get it to work, and
every other update it would break it.

Now, since I could not upgrade from F8 to F9 or F10 (due
to dmraid breakage in anaconda), I took the plunge and
updated my development box to F11.

SOUND STILL DOESN'T WORK!

Once again, every update breaks something. So, please
just let this sink in:

   In AD2009, F11 sound doesn't work reliably on standard
   hardware in Linux.

Yeah, I can redirect stream, do all sort of nifty things,
except it's a mystery every time I use Skype, Youtube,
VirtualBox or Rhythmbox is I'll get sound.

Let's stop blaming "broken software" -- PA is *crashing*
when I start VirtualBox, Skype, etc. Not the app!

If you tell me to:
  * run pulseaudio -D from a terminal
  * restart X
  * reboot
you are missing the point. If PA crashes, it should restart
automagically and reconnet. Sound should be reliable.
Also, I don't want to hear about fixing all the bugs in PA.
It didn't happen in many years, it's not gonna happen soon.

Lennart, for the sake of all that's good, please make the
darn thing reliable. Please!

P.S. Just updated yesterday, rebooted, sound broken. Again!
Stuttering and distorsion to the point you can't hear anything;
PA using a lot of CPU, outputing bits and pieces of sound.
Spent 15min starting/restarting/configuring Skype. How much
patience can one have?!?

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.