Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Apr 23 21:20:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 23.04.09 23:01, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) (bochecha at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> > Firstly the alsa mixer init database should have set up your system
> > correctly. The database is incomplete unfortunately since most people
> > don't send in a patch for the db after they fixed those settings
> > manually. After running alsamixer -c0 alsa will remember and hence
> > they never get annoyed by that anymore so they don't remember to post
> > this anymore.
>
> Are you saying that I should open a bug saying something like « on
> Fedora 11, audio was barely audible. I run alsamixer and set all
> channels to the max, now it's a little better » ?
>
> Is so, I'll happily go and open one right now :)

Yes, it would be good if you would open a bug report about this. No it
wouldn't be good if you'd post it like that.

Identify which control exactly was incorrectly initialized. Identify a
good value for it. And then describe exactly which card you have, and
file a bug against alsa-utils.

Even better, have a working patch ready for alsa-utils. Most folks
will probably have to add a few lines to /lib/alsa/init/hda and that's
about it. The syntax is similar to udev rules. Just read that file and
you should be able to deduce the format it is written in. Then use
'alsactl init' to test your changes.

Lennart