development packages and multilib

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 23 23:46:39 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 15:58 -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> ...which means -m32 would stop working, which means my $DAYJOB would
>> have to change distros on our build machines.
>>
>> We rely on being able to build 32- and 64-bit binaries as part of the
>> same build. How exactly is that supposed to work with mock?
>
> Well in our production environment we require clean chroots be created
> for every build, so we create a clean i386 chroot to build the i386
> binaries, we create a clean x86_64 chroot to build the x86_64 binaries,
> we create a clean ppc chroot to create the ppc binaries, I think you see
> where I'm going with this.

Obviously your requirements are different. (For us, I've no idea how
hard something like the above would be to achieve on OSF 5.x or Irix
6.x. Yes, I work with those platforms.)

Our requirements are that one build environment produces one package
containing both 32- and 64-bit binaries. (Including, in one case, on
Windoze, and don't even get me started on what a PITA *that* is.) We
support enough platforms without multiplying the support cost with
separate packages based on what size you want your pointers to be...

--
Matthew
Use the --force, Luke -- Riccardo Iaconelli