FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Sat Apr 25 06:59:46 UTC 2009

> On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 03:09 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > FYI, Adam didn't revive the old mixer (that is still in gnome-media, but
> > disabled), he revived gnome-alsamixer, another GNOME ALSA mixer with no
> > upstream.
>
> It does have one; it's part of GNOME's git. The git checkout command is
> included as a comment right at the top of the spec.
>
> > The URL mentioned in the spec file[1] says:
> > "The page cannot be found"
>
> Sorry, I'll adjust that.
>
> > If the thing is going to get installed by default, you should at _least_
> > package up the old gnome-volume-control. Otherwise, yes, I'll be a pain
> > and drag this to the board.
>
> My thinking on that is explained in the bug report. I'd say the old
> g-v-c has less of an upstream, because the old g-v-c effectively doesn't
> exist anywhere except in history. Where could it get developed in
> future, if we wanted to push some changes upstream? The new g-v-c is
> effectively a completely different application, it doesn't count as
> 'upstream' for the old g-v-c any more. I don't think you'd be accepting
> patches for the *old* g-v-c into the *new* one :)
>
> gnome-alsamixer exists as a module in GNOME git. Hence if we're correct
> in identifying a demand for a full-access mixer in GNOME,
> gnome-alsamixer is in fact the project which could more easily be
> resurrected as a proper upstream application. It'd be rather hard to do
> that for the old g-v-c - it would have to be changed to be identified as
> something completely different from the *new* g-v-c.
>
> I'm not particularly attached to this logic, though. If everyone agrees
> the old g-v-c is the way to go I'm fine with that, as I said all I
> really wanted is a full-access mixer in the default install.

I took a quick look at this, and gnome-media has the code moved to the
gst-mixer subdir, but thats it, the code still believes its called
g-v-c, all the files are called that, the gconf schema keys, the
desktop, etc.

So I suspect the effort to do that vs ship gnome-alsamixer at this point
in the development cycle isn't going to provide any useful advantages to
the advanced sound configuration people are requiring. Like it the
answer to the question is otherwise run a cli app called alsamixer, I'd
ship a kde app quicker :)

Dave.