The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Apr 26 09:46:35 UTC 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Oh great. This sounds like an invitation to stop working on cleaning
> up the volume control situation entirely. If we never can get rid of
> the old cruft and need to prominently feature it in all future release
> then why even try?

I think that's the whole point here. We can NEVER get rid of those sliders,
they all exist for a reason. (Well, almost – I'm sure there's one or the
other bogus dummy control in some driver, but those are ALSA bugs. Showing
sliders which actually do something is NOT a bug.)

And let me assure you that I'm NOT one of those "remove PulseAudio" people,
in fact when people complain about sound not working, the first thing I say
is "make sure PulseAudio is installed and running and don't listen to
people claiming you should disable it". But PulseAudio does not obviate the
need for those ALSA controls (which work fine even when PulseAudio is
running).

        Kevin Kofler