The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sun Apr 26 16:43:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26.04.09 11:15, Callum Lerwick (seg at haxxed.com) wrote:

> > Today we have MMX and SSE and similar CPU extensions. The very reason
> > we have them is to do signal processing with them. Such as
> > implementing mixing, volume adjustments, equalizers, and other filters
> > in them -- in high digital quality. Ironically even Creative sees that
> > and nowadays a lot of logic is actually in their Windows drivers, not
> > so much in their sound cards.
>
> And once again you go on and on about "modern" and "these days", and are
> completely dismissive of "Right now" and "Yesterday".

Wow. So you are running your stuff on a CPU without SSE? I am impressed!

> No one but you cares. End users want what they use now and have owned
> for years, to work and continue to work.

Uh, didn't we recently switch to i586 as minimal architecture of
Fedora?

Also, by focussing on the newer, simpler hw our stuff still should
work fine on the older hw that has all kinds of little 'features' we
don't rely on.

Lennart