Pulseaudio breakage in F11

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:26:35 UTC 2009

On Sunday 26 April 2009 16:21:08 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 26.04.09 10:59, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) wrote:
> > But the OSS compatibility layer you get by default is provided by
> > ALSA, and it only handles exclusive access to the hardware, no
> > mixing.
>
> That is actually not true anymore. In-kernel OSS is disabled now in
> F11.
>
> I am actually surprised that noone of the usual suspects started a
> huge thread about this yet on fedora-devel. It'd make good fodder for
> the trolls. May I feed those folks their lines? "Oh my, we're no real
> Unix anymore!", "Oh my, my 1992 closed source tool still needs it."

Well, the story was that they would simply not be loaded by default, not that
they would be completely removed and thus not available to "modprobe".

The "usual suspects" of course would be people who disagree with you, as usual.

Annoyingly, you can actually be helpful when you aren't sidetracked by noticing
that someone's hardware is "obsolete" or that their use case isn't "minority".