Abandon "Default Desktop"

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 15:34:38 UTC 2009

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I propose that we stop referring to and ship a
"Default desktop" but
>> instead will start
>> referring to their project name instead.
>>
>> AFAIK what would be required to accomplish this is
change all
>> documentation and filenames to refer to Gnome
desktop instead of Default
>> desktop, Fedora desktop or just Desktop and make
minor changes to
>> Anaconda.
>
> You would also have to make it so that the "GNOME
desktop" group is
> not checked by default when installing with a DVD
(change in comps.xml
> if I'm not mistaken)
>
> But wait, that means that a new user without any
skill will have no
> desktop installed if he doesn't check this box
himself. I'm not sure
> the effect on them will be positive ;)
>
> IMHO, we need to have a checked checkbox bu default
in installation,
> which means we need to choose a desktop environment
and make it the
> default.
How about page (or put it into an existing page) with a
set of radio buttons for which DE to install? GNOME,
KDE, XFCE, None, etc. This way every user sees it,
there's only bias in which of these is default (which
is a lower bias than having to go into the huge list
and switch checkmarks).

> That doesn't mean we treat other desktop environments
as if they were
> second class citizens, but that's not the point you
are raising here.
Probably should be raised as well, but I agree, that is
something for another thread.

> Regards,

> Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)

- --Ben