Abandon "Default Desktop"

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 17:29:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Julian Aloofi
<julian.fedoralists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 27.04.2009, 18:45 +0200 schrieb Roberto Ragusa:

> But I think that someone who uses a linux based OS for the first time
> will not know what choice to make (I remember how I didn't know, back
> when I first used linux).

Add a randomize button... and I'm completely serious about that. Or at
the very least, add a "choose for me option"

> And GNOME is certainly not the wrong desktop
> for new users. It's stable, simple and the system-config apps look
> native.

I actually consider the system-config apps not looking native a plus, but ok.

> Of course KDE (and everything else) is good too, but at the moment it's
> (in my opinion, KDE 4.2 brought great improvements but it still crashes
> from time to time) not stable enough (that will change).

I'm not sure that KDE crashes, only one app I use crashes regular...
saying KDE crashes is being extremely vague at best.

> Other desktops like XFCE are great too, but why should we choose them
> over GNOME?

Well... I think the point is to _not_ choose.

> Users who know about the different desktops will make their choice
> anyway,

So let them choose between equally placed desktops.

> even if they don't have their own LiveCD (I'm thinking of LXDE
> and e17). I don't think new users can't learn about all the desktops
> when they install Fedora, but I hardly think they want. All desktops are
> pretty well supported (in terms of updates and integration).
>
> What I think would be best is keeping the GNOME Live-CD as default

At least call it what it is, the Gnome live cd, there is nothing
special about to to make it default.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )