Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 20:33:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 02:10:10PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Now that we have ext4 as the new default filesystem, it'd be nice if we
> can get more applications to take advantage of some of the features.
>
> One big feature that has already been brought up on the list[1] is file
> preallocation, which allows an application to pre-allocate blocks it
> knows that it will eventually write into, thereby making sure it won't
> run out of space, and also generally getting a more efficient/contiguous
> file layout.
>
> * Come up with a list of apps which could benefit:
[snip]
>   - virt image tools?

We're one step ahead of you !  libvirt supports it as of 0.6.3 for its
raw file storage management APIs, and this is in Fedora 11 trees

http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=70e7672184ff639856d5f2f3bf7849464031dff9

Thanks to Amit Shah for doing the patch for us, and providing us some
compelling performance figures at the same time:

http://www.amitshah.net/2009/03/comparison-of-file-systems-and-speeding.html

Daniel