Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 12:24:48 UTC 2009

Eric Sandeen wrote:
>   - rpm? (file installation and/or db files?)

The rpmdb is a bunch of db4 files. In don't think I want to interfere with
the db4 engine...

I am not really sure whether preallocation offers that much benefit for file
installation. May be if there is a parallel process also writing to the disk
heavily - but such processes should probably have their own partition/disk.
Would preallocation make sense for tar?

Let's ask the other way round: What are the costs of preallocation for - say
2M files with 50GB overall content?

Florian