Abandon "Default Desktop"

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 15:13:34 UTC 2009

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> So the question is this...
>
> Should we or should we not drop the Default Desktop concept?
>
> If we decided we will abandon default desktop concept only then we can
> start talking about what
> are the necessary steps to complete that task.
>
> JGB

I think dropping the default desktop is the wrong way to accomplish what you want.

The /right/ way is to make the KDE spin a first-class product, released at the same time as the "main" release and given equal billing on the website. We still present an equal choice, but the experience doesn't have to be sloppy.

Jesse doesn't want any extra work I'm sure, though, so someone from the KDE SIG will have to step up to make this happen (and from XFCE/LXDE/et al. if they too want top billing).

--CJD