Abandon "Default Desktop"

Naheem Zaffar naheemzaffar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 16:42:49 UTC 2009

2009/4/28 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>

> Could you please elaborate how "The one package by default" concept was
> pushed forward by Ubuntu?

Yes.

When I first started using Feodra, there were many packages and alternatives
installed.

Then ubuntu came along and since it was a one cd distribution, it went for
"best of breed applications" - not sure if it accomplished that, but since
then other distributions were "forced" to make decisions. Fedora including.

And that was a good thing, the first time I installed a non windows
operating system, I did not need to fight over multiple different browsers,
text editors, terminals etc. I did not even know what a desktop environment
was!

Choice is only good if you are informed enough to exercise it.