Abandon "Default Desktop"

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 18:46:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 13:24 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> So why don't we give users some brief information about what KDE and
> Gnome are about, accompanied with some screenshots, and let them
> decide?

Because it's a bad idea.  Choice is not the goal.  We have many
interesting problems to solve and forcing the user to care about their
choice of solutions is both bad UI and actively detracts from the real
goal, which is making it work out of the box and enabling people to work
on the really cool stuff at the edges.

Distros are not interesting.  They exist to be invisible, to get out of
your way and let you do what you're really trying to do.  If what you're
really trying to do is "install the newest X" [1], then you're a
fetishist, not a user.

Also: this thread is the cancer that is killing /fd/.  It's soapboxing
pretending to be a development discussion.  I'd like my development list
back please.

- ajax