FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 23:59:34 UTC 2009

> gst-mixer - the old gnome-volume-control - has a rather better UI, but a
> somewhat odd work flow. To select an input device you have to hit
> Preferences and enable a bunch of controls "Line-in Capture", "CD
> Capture", "Microphone Capture" etc. (It may that these are displayed by
> default on some cards but this didn't work for me and Bill, I don't
> really know). Then you can go to the Switches tab and select your input,
> except for me the input selection switches act as checkboxes not radio
> buttons (they should act as radio buttons and only let one be selected
> at a time), so I can have Video Capture, Microphone Capture, CD Capture
> and Line-in Capture selected all at once, but the one I clicked on last
> is the one that's actually active.
>
> So it's an odd interface and seems buggy for me and Bill, but it does
> what you need in the end. I don't know if either of these things are
> expected behaviour, Bastien might.

One strong thing gst-mixer has going for it is that it is what we had
before, so those people who were used to twiddling the bits, or use to
helping people through twiddling the bits will not have to learn yet
another new tool.  To me, that seems the most appropriate thing here,
keep the old tool around long enough until we're comfortable with the
new tool to stand on its own.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!