[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sat Aug 1 05:51:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:28:58AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 30.07.09 19:06, Jeff Garzik (jgarzik at pobox.com) wrote:
>

> > Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >> Doing digital grabbing of is very reliable these days. The analog path
> >> is just completely obsolete.
> >
> > I guess it's an open question why HDA touts multi-analog and hw mixing
> > as modern features, then :)
>
> Oh does it? How about adding some references to this claim? Might be
> actually convincing then.
>
> At least I couldn't find anything googling for 'HDA hardware-mixing'.
>
> Nor could I find anything googling for 'HDA multi-analog'.

When you buy an Intel CPU do you expect it to say "Supports x86
instruction set"?  The ability for a soundcard to accept multiple analog
inputs and output them all simultaneously to a single sink has been
standard for so long that any card that *can't* do it (assuming it has
multiple analog inputs) would be considered total garbage.  You don't
have to tout something that is a basic, standard capability.