[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Aug 1 10:53:30 UTC 2009

Le vendredi 31 juillet 2009 à 12:54 +1000, Rodd Clarkson a écrit :
> On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 20:20 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > > Rather, it works around it. The problems in the kernel drivers are
> > > usually still there...
> >
> > Before PA a sound problem didn't freeze the GUI (effectively bricking
> > the system for normal users). Now it can. In my case, a few months ago,
> > it was doing so because a new PA version could not parse a manual config
> > change advertised in Fedora's own "Glitch-free audio" feature page a
> > release before.
>
> Oh, you must not have been around when esound was used in gnome.

I was around when gnome 0.3 was published by the rh labs

> esd
> used to die all the time and drag down applications with it as it went.
> The app would sit there waiting to ring it's bell (or whatever) and
> since esd wasn't responding, it would just stop.

esd at its worst never had the full-desktop-blackout effect pa has now.
esd made at most one or two app fail with clear feadback that esd was as
fault. Since the start of the F12 cycle I count at least 2 different
audio bugs that resulted in a complete desktop hang with no meaningful
error reporting or any way to recover the system.

--
Nicolas Mailhot