Testing libsatsolver on Fedora

yersinia yersinia.spiros at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 13:09:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Jussi
Lehtola<jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 13:01 +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm the author of the "libsatsolver" library, a library solves
>> package dependencies with a SAT algorithm.
>> This library is currently used in SUSE by YaST/zypp. I'm currently
>> trying to make it less SUSE specific like adding support for package
>> coloring and different repo handling, but I'm pretty sure I didn't
>> catch all things where Fedora is different from SUSE.
>>
>> To test things I've written a small application called "solv" that
>> works like a very tiny package manager. It's available via:
>>
>> http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=Fedora:11&q=libsatsolver-demo
>
> Impressive: after the repository data has been downloaded, the
> calculation of the update from Fedora 10 (x86_64) to Fedora 11 takes
> less than two seconds (practically instantaneous!) on an Athlon64 X2
> 4600+.

Sure. It is impressive. I already know because have already tried some
time ago on fedora e suse. The principal problem remain : wants sat
solver become a project cross distribution or not? The project rpm is
already - with some local difference btw, but this don't change what i
have said. Do think the author of SAT solvers that an open source
cross platform solution could be beneficial to everyone, and to  the
sat solver  project itself ? A project is a project, a distro is
another thing. But i perhaps asked in different word the same question
alreay asked : no answer. A good open source project should have more
widespread audience instead to be tied to issues that perhaps are not
so technical in nature.

Best Regards