[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sat Aug 1 14:43:31 UTC 2009

eOn Sat, 01.08.09 00:41, Doug Ledford (dledford at redhat.com) wrote:

> > - and the killer argument: we don't even ship a CD player app that
> >   could make use of the analog  CDDA playback path. To my konwledge
> >   there is none in the default install, nor in the entire distro.
>
> And this has nothing to do with whether or not the mixer should be able
> to deal with analog in to analog out directly, which was my complaint.
> The CD portion of it was just one instance, the other being my use of
> line in for my iPhone.  Assuming that because you don't have access to a
> CD player that does CDDA based playing today means that it simply
> doesn't work in the hardware is just silly.  And assuming that because
> your CD in path doesn't work that no analog input path should be
> redirected in hardware to speakers is also just as silly.

In three ways you seem very confused.

Firstly, analog path CDDA playback is a feature that got removed from
Fedora long before PA/g-v-c decided to hide the CD volume
slider. There is no CD player supporting the analog path in
Fedora. So _I_am_not_the_one_you_should_be_complaining_to_.

Secondly, PA doesn't even take away the ability to control the CD
slider, at all. In contrast to analog path CDDA playback where we
don't ship any tool that supports this anymore, we do ship numerous
alternative ALSA mixers, for the UI and for the terminal which expose
the CD slider. So, PA does not take anything away from you. And so
again, _I_am_not_the_one_you_should_be_complaining_to_.

Thirdly, you are conflating CDDA playback with support analog
input/output in some way that makes no sense at all. Of course we
support analog input and output. After all this is software for sound
cards! Claiming we would be dropping support for analog audio
input/output is as stupid as claiming Obama wasn't born in the US. All
PA does here is hiding a few obsolete ports, such as CDDA, which as
mentioned above, isn't otherwise supported anymore anyway.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net