KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 13:06:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 11:49 +0200, Josephine Tannhäuser wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> KDE 4.3 will come to F11 and F10. It's a cool thing.
> There aren't updates like this for Gnome. Why not?
> F10 with Gnome 2.26 sounds fine to me.

GNOME has stable bugfix updates, and we do bring all of those into
released Fedoras.

Backporting entirely new desktop versions to old Fedora releases is a
bad idea for a number of reasons:

- It would pull along a good-sized portion of the 'plumbing' layer: new
udev, kernel, pulseaudio, X...

- We don't have the man power to do a good job on this. This may be
different on the KDE side. While we do a good chunk of the development
work for each GNOME release, the KDE sig is more of a packaging effort,
as far as I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

- It is not compatible with the concept of a finished, stable release.
If we just want to dump all the latest stuff in there, why bother with
freezes and releases at all ? We could all just use rawhide...

Matthias