Fedora 12 Features Proposed for Removal

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:39:39 UTC 2009

> After requesting status updates, including direct email to the feature
> owners, the following feature pages do not have a current status or their
> ability to tested during the Alpha is unclear based on the lack of
> information provided or percentage of completion.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraMoblin

I'm the maintainer of this. I think its very much in a similar
category to gnome/kde. The only difference is there is some packages
still awaiting review, about 2 that are actually critical, but moblin
2 like gnome etc are still in there development phase so its a moving
target.

> In accordance with our recorded process about providing status, I am
> proposing that they reviewed and dropped from the Fedora 12 feature list at
> Friday's FESCo meeting.

I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing about "providing status", I've
been regularly updating the 2 pages percentages which is as far as I
can tell the main thing I'm meant to be doing. There are a couple of
dependant packages that need to get in and it will be in a testing
state, I've been testing these myself so if they're not in by alpha
they won't be far from it.

This is the first time I've been involved in the "Feature Process" and
I must say the whole thing has been about as clear as mud. I mean why
isn't dracut on the cutting list, its listed as being at 90% which
"feature wise" it may well be but it hasn't even been enabled yet so
who knows what's going to break at that point, I see another anaconda
storage rewrite coming up. Yet Moblin which doesn't even impact any of
the rest of the distro has issues, I can put it at 100% but I don't
see how that actually assists in the process. I don't see why if
there's reasonable forward movement that features that don't impact
other components of the distro have to be "cut" at the alpha stage of
the process.

Peter