rt2860 driver (fc11)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 17:27:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 11:34 +0200, drago01 wrote:

> > I'm not quite sure if I could catch what you meant. Are you being
> > sarcastic, implying that the rt2xxx staging drivers will stay in the
> > staging repo forever? I sure hope not :) Hey! Don't break my hopes!
>
> The rtxxxx vendor drivers are considered a dead end by the
> linux-wireless developers (just try to read the code and you would now
> why), the plan is to get rt2800pci and rt2800usb into shape and get
> them upstreamed.
>
> They get no support from the wireless developers at all, Greg added
> them to staging because "they are better than no drivers".

Thanks for the clarification. From what I read, I inferred that the
driver in /staging was the serialmonkey driver, but it seems I read it
wrong, and what it actually means to say was 'this is the vendor driver,
it sucks, don't contribute any code to this driver, contribute to the
serialmonkey driver instead'.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey