Fedora 12 Features Proposed for Removal

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 18:41:20 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 10:37 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I think the correct question here is why has a perfectly routine version
> > bump for components included in Fedora been submitted as a 'feature'? If
> > GNOME 2.28 is a feature, isn't KDE 4.3 a feature (oh, I see it is too,
> > lovely...), kernel 2.6.31 a feature...every new version of everything in
> > the distro a feature? What benefit does applying the feature process to
> > a routine update like this bring, to offset its clear inconsistency?
>
> "routine version bump" may actually introduce new and exciting features,
> and may need coordination across a wide range of users and testers.
> Ergo, Fedora Feature.

Again, that applies to _everything in the distro_. I don't think 'it's a
new version' can be a feature. If we identify something particular
within the GNOME or KDE package set which is a significant enough change
to qualify as a Fedora feature, fine, submit it as such. But just
declaring the entire version upgrade to be a feature seems a bit weird
to me.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey