KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 19:26:53 UTC 2009

> But we're providing an operating system, not just a bunch of packages.
> What if some group's written their own kernel module for their own
> purposes, rolled it out to all their systems, and doesn't expect an
> official update to make them re-write it? Same question for KDE -
> someone writes a tool for their group based on some KDE libraries,
> doesn't expect an update to come along and do a major KDE version bump
> and break some interface the tool relied on...reducing the question to
> 'are all the packages we care about okay' is, again, excluding some use
> cases, i.e. defining an identity for Fedora.

We're providing a bunch of packages, that certain groups use to make a
variety of operating systems.  If you want to develop a tool and expect
that it'll keep working on any given release without aggressive changes
underneath, pick the Fedora Desktop operating system.  If you want to
run with the latest and greatest regardless of change risk, try the
Fedora KDE operating system.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!