Fedora 12 Features Proposed for Removal

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 19:34:26 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 11:41 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > Again, that applies to _everything in the distro_. I don't think 'it's a
> > new version' can be a feature. If we identify something particular
> > within the GNOME or KDE package set which is a significant enough change
> > to qualify as a Fedora feature, fine, submit it as such. But just
> > declaring the entire version upgrade to be a feature seems a bit weird
> > to me.
>
> And not declaring, testing, and coordinating version updates of key sets
> of software such as Gnome and KDE also seems weird to me.  Listing the
> included versions of these desktops is a time honored tradition for
> Linux distros, without which the constant questions are "what version of
> $foo does it include?".

Sure, and I was always happy to write in GNOME and KDE versions as
'Features' when writing release blurbs for Mandriva. But that's just
pure PR. PR is not all our feature process does - it comes with all this
bureaucracy, intended for dealing with experimental stuff which may turn
out to have been a bad idea, attached to it, it's _not_ a pure PR
exercise. Which leads to the absurdity we have here, the suggestion that
the GNOME 2.28 'feature' should be 'dropped' for Fedora 12 (does anyone
really think we're going to ship it with GNOME 2.26?)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey