Fedora 12 Features Proposed for Removal

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 20:08:05 UTC 2009

> Sure, and I was always happy to write in GNOME and KDE versions as
> 'Features' when writing release blurbs for Mandriva. But that's just
> pure PR. PR is not all our feature process does - it comes with all this
> bureaucracy, intended for dealing with experimental stuff which may turn
> out to have been a bad idea, attached to it, it's _not_ a pure PR
> exercise. Which leads to the absurdity we have here, the suggestion that
> the GNOME 2.28 'feature' should be 'dropped' for Fedora 12 (does anyone
> really think we're going to ship it with GNOME 2.26?)

Our feature process covers both, PR and experimental things, as well as
things that just need a lot of coordination, or just some extra looking
at for testing.  If you really want to create one process for pure PR
features, another process for experimental things, and another process
for things that just need some coordination, I welcome you to draft
those proposals.

However, we have one process, that seems to handle all of the above
fairly well.  There are some interesting interactions, and some room for
clarification, but in the end we have one process to go through whether
you want to tout a version bump, whether you need to get the attention
of multiple maintainers to coordinate a change, whether you want to
experiment with something and have the backing of developers, QA,
releng, and testers, so on and so forth.  A single set of rules to
follow, because these all tend to need roughly the same kind of things,
so might as well have one process to run through.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!