Fedora 12 Features Proposed for Removal

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Aug 7 02:18:09 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 12:34 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Sure, and I was always happy to write in GNOME and KDE versions as
> > 'Features' when writing release blurbs for Mandriva. But that's just
> > pure PR. PR is not all our feature process does - it comes with all this
> > bureaucracy, intended for dealing with experimental stuff which may turn
> > out to have been a bad idea, attached to it, it's _not_ a pure PR
> > exercise. Which leads to the absurdity we have here, the suggestion that
> > the GNOME 2.28 'feature' should be 'dropped' for Fedora 12 (does anyone
> > really think we're going to ship it with GNOME 2.26?)
>
> Our feature process covers both, PR and experimental things, as well as
> things that just need a lot of coordination, or just some extra looking
> at for testing.  If you really want to create one process for pure PR
> features, another process for experimental things, and another process
> for things that just need some coordination, I welcome you to draft
> those proposals.

Ahh, bureaucracy, don't you love it. ;) My idea of a 'process' for pure
PR features is 'have a look at the product then write the damn thing',
so I am not your guy for drafting process documents...

However, that's not my suggestion. I made that earlier in the thread,
and it's simple: if there are actual features within new versions of
some software that we ship that should count as Fedora features - i.e.
they're significant changes that it makes sense to 'gatekeep' at the
Fedora level, in terms of organizing Fedora-specific concerted testing
and providing a contingency plan in case they turn out to be a bad idea
- then isolate _those_ and list _them_ as features, don't just call a
version number a feature.

XZ payloads in RPM is a feature done right, according to this view. We
don't say that 'RPM (whatever-EVR-introduced-XZ-payloads)' is a feature,
we say XZ payloads are a feature.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey