"Reign?"

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 12:48:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 02:01:40PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 08/07/2009 01:33 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>
>> Just went to download a Fedora ISO and I'm struck once again by how
>> peculiar the Fedora homepage has become:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/
>>    (or screenshot: http://www.annexia.org/tmp/fedora.png)
>>
>> What does the word "Reign" have to do with a Linux distro?  If I knew
>> nothing about Fedora, what impression would I get from this page?
>
> See: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_release_slogan
>
> IIRC the slogan was conceived on the marketing list and on the websites
> list there were talks and mockups abut redesigning the front page.

Correct on both counts.  There are threads going on in
fedora-advisory-board concerning redesign of the web pages, and I've
spent a substantial amount of time over the last weeks talking to
people on the Board, Design, and Websites teams about how we can
improve the appearance of the website, and focus the message it sends
about Fedora.

I would suggest this is really off-topic for this list.  If we want
this list to be a hospitable place for developers to discuss code,
features, and packaging, we need to get conversations to the places
they can be most effective.