KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 7 18:16:06 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Well with the no frozen rawhide proposal, from the Alpha freeze point on
> there would be such an updates-testing for the pending release, while
> rawhide remains the wild west.  You could say install F12, then at F13
> Alpha jump onto F13 and have the much newer more often content that has
> had some testing.  Just keep jumping to the next Alpha and you have your
> "rolling release" as it were.

How does that differ from the current situation (except for being a
little more bleeding)?

A true rolling release is install-once, update-forever. Yes you can more
or less do this with upgrade-via-yum, but it is still a large chunk of
effort at 6- or 12-month intervals.

>> Oh, and on a related note, it would be really helpful if it was possible
>> to enable updates-testing only for certain packages (and when needed,
>> dependencies thereof) on a permanent whitelist basis.
>
> include=<package> in the yum conf for updates-testing.

Will that also use packages from -testing when needed to resolve
dependencies for something in the include list? Or will it just break?
('man yum.conf' makes it sound like the latter...)

--
Matthew
Thank you for reading all the way to this .sig. You may stop reading