Fedora 12 Features Proposed for Removal

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Aug 8 03:51:45 UTC 2009

On 08/07/2009 04:19 PM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de>  writes:
>
>> On 08/06/2009 09:12 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
>> Do you expect people to continue a review even when you'd have to
>> decide against the best of your knowledge and conciousness?
>
> Actually, yes, I do. Your job is not to make packages perfect, but to
> check they follow Packaging Guidelines and other items as stated on the
> wiki. Of course, you can and you should express your opinion about any
> strategies and techniques they use (rerun autoconf or patch ./configure
> or libtool), but their disagreement with your opinion (and it is nothing
> else than one of two opinions on the matter) shouldn't be the reason why
> you reject the review approval.
I usually pronounce my opinion and then abstain from approving a package.

> Do you go to the source code and check how well the upstream made the
> program?
I do when I am observing "something noteworthy".

If things are too ugly I usually abstain from "formally reviewing
packages", "approving a package" and/or recommend other reviewers to do
the same.

> IMHO, the proper way is to express opinion, and even when disagreement
> happens, approve review
== "switch off your brains, morals, knowledge"

Pardon, but you don't want how disgusting I find this logic of yours.

> and then file a bug against the package where
> you can fight your battle without threatening packager to disallow him
> to have a bug in the repo.
My strategy is not to "formally review" a package I don't agree with for
whatever reasons.

Sometimes these reasons are of technical nature (e.g. low coding
quality), lack of maintainer skills (e.g. running the autotools),
sometimes of moral nature (e.g. war games), some times of legal reasons
(e.g. games) ...

Ralf