No sound in rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Aug 9 07:13:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 17:15 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Sooo, I thought I saw mention about sound with current rawhide or close.
> Mine is just the ac97 or whatever built into the motherboard and after a
> straight up upgrade from F11 to rawhide it stopped working.  I take it
> known problem already?  Have anything to do with the boxes on the panel
> in the notification area being there instead of the device icons?

Indirectly, probably yes. There's a workaround for that known problem
posted on rawhidewatch - restart notification-applet (or whatever the
exact name is) until you get the icons instead of the boxes (can take
over 20 tries, for me at least). At that point you'll probably see that
the sound volume icon has the mute symbol on it. PA seems to still be
initializing things at 0% volume when you first login. It is for me,
anyway. I'm guessing that's the case for you.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey