Requires question in SPEC

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Tue Aug 11 08:02:23 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I'm facing a problem with one of my SPEC files...I'm packaging a program
(motion, in RPM Fusion) that has a startup script. In the start()
section of this startup script, I have added an
"LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l2convert.so daemon $motion" to support
more cameras.

So I naturally added a "Requires: libv4l" in my SPEC file, but of course
rpmlint complains with "E: explicit-lib-dependency libv4l".

The problem here is that I can't see how RPM could automatically add
libv4l as a dependency when I build the package...it's not in the code,
only a call in the startup script. So...

* Should I consider that libv4l is installed by default on F10/11 and
not put the require.
* Put the require and let rpmlint complain.

Any advice on that?
Note that if you launch the startup script on a system that doesn't have
libv4l, it simply doesn't do the LD_PRELOAD, but still works "as usual".

Thanks
Steven