Consistent PolicyKit system policy

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Aug 11 13:40:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Mathieu Bridon
(bochecha)<bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 15:42, Colin Walters wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
>>
>>> What is the goal of the default Fedora PolicyKit policy system-wide, and
>>> how can we check that PolicyKit mechanisms' default policies are
>>> adhering to it?
>>
>> Generally where I'd like to move to is where the RPM package defaults
>> are appropriate for a shared computer lab PC, and the desktop spin
>> kickstart modifies things as appropriate for the unmanaged home
>> PC/laptop.
>
> I'm confused, does this mean that the desktop spin doesn't (or won't)
> use the RPM package defaults?

Well, there are a variety of  technical approaches; maybe instead the
spin config is a desktop-spin-config RPM or something.  But the point
is that the CD downloaded from the website should be configured
appropriately for unmanaged (or really self-managed) systems, but we
need to be able to explain to administrators creating a managed
desktop environment how to configure things.  I think differentiating
on RPM defaults versus spin config is a relatively clean way to do
this, but other suggestions are welcome.

> If so, what about someone who install a « shared computer lab PC »
> using the desktop spin? After all, users of this « shared lab PC »
> need a desktop, so the admin could think the desktop spin is the most
> appropriate...

Comps is the correct approach here; the "GNOME Desktop Environment"
group is roughly equivalent to the spin, minus any customization.