[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 03:07:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 20:50 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Which is what I currently do.  However, my entry into this foray was
> caused by the current maintainer of gst-mixer stating that he would
> support it being removed from the default install image and comps.
>  From there it's a short step to it never getting compiled against
> current libs and eventually falling away entirely.  For PA to suit my
> needs, and for this not to be a problem for me, I simply need support
> for sending analog inputs to analog outputs.  Nothing more.

I don't intend to maintain gst-mixer at all any more, and I intend to
drop it entirely from the distribution.

There are several other ALSA mixers you can use, like alsamixer ,
alsamixergui, xfce's mixer or kmix. I'd recommend alsamixer.

gst-mixer was only ever a stopgap for F11.

> (specifically, generalization from one to the whole).  Whether CD-In
> usage is dead or not, the other uses aren't.  So, for all I care, we
> can skip CD-In support entirely, but Line-In and Aux should work.
> And, of course, going back to what I just said, once either of those
> two works, you already have the back end necessary to support CD-In
> for free.

>   So he's worried about unconnected CD drives causing bug
> reports.  Fine, don't enable CD-In, but that's not a valid excuse to
> leave the other ports dysfunctional.

You mean non-functional. The current Rawhide supports input selection in
gnome-volume-control and pavucontrol, anyway, so your concern is now
unneeded.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey