Soname bump for openssl

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 13:38:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 07:36 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:45:50AM +0200, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'd like to upgrade OpenSSL to 1.0.0-beta3 version just after the F12
> >Alpha release. I asked rel-eng to create a custom build target for the
> >rebuild so we can avoid shipping the symlink hacks in rawhide.
>
> A few questions:
>
> Why a beta version?
Because the changes on the 1.0.0 branch will not break ABI as they will
be bugfix-only and it will allow us to upgrade to 1.0.0 later.

> Is there a good chance the final upstream release will be done before F12 GAs?
Yes, there is, but of course I cannot guarantee that. But it shouldn't
be a problem too big as the beta3 is already in pretty good shape.

> Will the beta nature of the release cause lots of potential rebuilds as you
> update it with newer betas?
If you mean rebuilds of dependencies then definitely not. And even
rebuilds of openssl there should not be many as I suppose there will be
a final release soon.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb