Updates lacking descriptions

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 08:40:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 04:56:55AM +0000, Jesse Weinstein wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones <rjones <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > It should fall back to taking the description from the changelog (in
> > fact, I think it already does that right now).
> Where would I find the changelog? It's not visibly connected either to the
> description that shows up along with the update, or on the
> admin.fedoraproject.org page that is linked from there.

You can find the RPM changelog via "rpm -q --changelog <packagename>"

Finding the upstream changelog is more challenging.  If it exists,
it would probably be in the docdir (/usr/share/doc/<packagename>-<version>).

Now I agree that extending RPM to add metadata to mark the upstream
changelog file or URL would be an excellent idea.  It's a one-off
change to specfiles and means that we don't need to write the same
thing in every update - a win all round.

Suggestions:

  %doc(changelog): ChangeLog.txt
  Changelog-URL: http://example.com/changes.html

Rich.