Updates lacking descriptions

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Aug 13 13:59:15 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Now I agree that extending RPM to add metadata to mark the upstream
> changelog file or URL would be an excellent idea.  It's a one-off
> change to specfiles and means that we don't need to write the same
> thing in every update - a win all round.

What we really need is a way to see the changes BEFORE installing the
update. Plus, the upstream changelog is often way too verbose. Good luck
reading a GCC changelog! The user-readable list of changes can be found in
different places for different projects, sometimes it's the ChangeLog file,
sometimes the NEWS file, sometimes the project's web page etc.

There's no substitute for filling in the update notes by hand.

        Kevin Kofler