Kernel 2.6.29 for F10

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 16:10:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:13:10AM -0500, Joe Nall wrote:

 > On Aug 18, 2009, at 5:16 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
 >

 > > Hi
 > >
 > > Is there a reason that since longer time 2.6.29-Kernels for Fedora
 > > 10 landing in
 > > "Updates-testing" followed with 2.6.27-Builds in the meantime?
 > >
 > > On machines with kmods this is a real problem because yum detetects
 > > the kmod for
 > > 2.6.27-Build and wants to install the 2.6.27 kernel which conflicts
 > > with the installed one
 > >
 > > I use the 2.6.29 since months in the meantime, F11 has it since the
 > > release and i do not
 > > realize why F10 does not get him
 >
 > I tried to ask this on the fedora kernel list and the moderator never
 > approved the message.

Odd, I don't recall seeing it, and there's no non-spam messages in
the queue right now.

 > I too would like to see F10 move up to 2.6.29+
 > prior to end-of-life.

In days of old, we were able to get rebases out pretty quickly after
their upstream release.  These days, we're hindered by the kernel modesetting
stuff we're carrying.  It's closely tied to the userspace X drivers,
and isn't easy to retrofit to a different kernel.
One of the reasons we haven't pushed them as proper updates is that
getting the regressions fixed is pretty time consuming, and the limited
X/KMS manpower we have is better focused on making the F12 stuff work right,
and getting it upstream.

I really can't wait for the day that it all gets upstream, and we can
get back to the old routine of rebasing.  Until then, we're kinda stuck.

	Dave