fedora-pkgdb: make it discoverable on browser home page?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 17:47:14 UTC 2009

On 08/23/2009 10:06 AM, Michel Salim wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Thanks for the wonderful fedora-pkgdb search engine! I was wondering --
> since it's a standard opensearch plugin, whether it would be a good idea
> or not to make it auto-discoverable on *.fedoraproject.org, especially
> start.fedoraproject.org which is our default browser home page?
>
> That way, users gain another way to search for packages -- one they are
> already familiar with -- and it's an easier way to look for existing
> bugs and file new ones too, IMHO.

In the past, the pkgdb was seen as a developer-only tool so it wasn't
too interesting too the general public.  However, as part of GSoC,
maploin has done some good work to change that.  The interface is a
little rough still but there are now end-user features (package build
information like repoview, user-supplied tagging and commenting) in the
development repo (not deployed yet).

-Toshio