gwenview - Re: Orphaning packages

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 24 22:13:01 UTC 2009

On 08/25/2009 03:37 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> A quick way to actually check for such dependencies is to switch to
>> another desktop environment, say Xfce, remove all the KDE packages and
>> install one of the KDE apps. It usually reveals dependencies which
>> are rather silly. I have seen kde-settings, background packages and
>> kdebase pull in odd dependencies on occasions.  k3b, ktorrent, scribus
>> et all are often used outside KDE.
>
> It's not like those dependencies bite. ;-) HDD space is cheap.

Unneeded dependencies do bite. I have a net connection with a bandwidth
cap at home. Packages that pulls in random silly dependencies are a big
pain. I have sit through updates of them as well. There more often those
packages get updated, the bigger the pain is.  yum-presto is a life
saver but the dependency bloat is not a ignorable problem at all.

Rahul