gwenview - Re: Orphaning packages

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 25 15:39:10 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> A quick way to actually check for such dependencies is to switch to
>> another desktop environment, say Xfce, remove all the KDE packages and
>> install one of the KDE apps. It usually reveals dependencies which
>> are rather silly. I have seen kde-settings, background packages and
>> kdebase pull in odd dependencies on occasions.  k3b, ktorrent, scribus
>> et all are often used outside KDE.
>
> It's not like those dependencies bite. ;-) HDD space is cheap.

Not on netbooks it isn't! I'd have to buy a new machine to get bigger
than the 4 G ssd I currently have. There's a reason I nuked the entire
printing support chain, even though it deprived me (for no good reason
IMO) of kcalc.

> I don't find it scandalous that ktorrent drags in kdebase-workspace
> nor that kdebase- workspace drags in Akonadi (and thus MySQL, which
> is a hard requirement of Akonadi) and I'm not sure the current
> subpackage explosion (FYI, rdieter split out subpackages to break
> both the links in the offending chain: in upcoming updates, ktorrent
> no longer requires kdebase-workspace, only the kde-plasma-ktorrent
> subpackage does, and kdebase-workspace no longer requires akonadi,
> only the kdebase-workspace-akonadi subpackage does) are a step in the
> right direction (as they mean the default installations of both
> ktorrent and kdebase-workspace/Plasma will be missing features). I'd
> rather have "unneccessary" dependencies than useful features not
> installed by default.

I have to disagree with part of this. I don't disagree with
kdebase-workspace having a hard dependency on akonadi, but I /am/ leery
of anything that doesn't enhance the KDE desktop having a hard
dependency on kdebase-workspace.

--
Matthew
Matthew