PackageKit and yum --skip-broken

Michel Alexandre Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 05:36:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Richard Hughes<hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/25 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
>> I might be wrong, but I could swear that PK acted like this in my
>> Rawhide machine the other day when there was a particular deps problem
>> at the mirror.
>
> PK already does skip-broken, but can't run if the transaction fails in
> the rpm transaction (file conflicts) rather than before the rpm
> transaction starts. I suspect yum update --skip-broken won't work
> either.

So, it turns out that the reason I didn't notice this functionality is
that the error message given by gnome-packagekit was slightly
unintuitive: it did /not/ inform the user that the uninstallable
package has been deselected, and to continue installing.

When dealing with large numbers of Rawhide updates, the deselected
package tend to be lost in the haystack that is the list of packages,
and I normally just quit and used yum, thinking "oh well, no PK
today".

Interestingly, after upgrading all but that one paskage (libass,
conflicting with an unrebuilt package from rpmfusion), attempting to
use gpk-update-viewer would, after popping up the error, return to a
list of packages with that one package still selected for
installation.

--
Michel